2023 Great Pyrenees Club of America National Specialty
Permission has been granted by the GPCA for the holding of this event under the Great Pyrenees Club of America Draft Test rules and regulations.
Sunday Draft Judges: Dawn Druge and Laura Gallagher
Monday Draft Judges: Larry Bohlig and James Maxwell
Draft test notice to exhibitors:
Mail all entries with fees to Judy Skorup, 237 N Hamilton St, Telford, PA 18969. Should acknowledgements not be received by the exhibitor within a reasonable time, please notify the Show Secretary at the address above or telephone 215-721-8521. Fees are $35 per entry per test payable to: GPCA -Versatility. DO NOT SEND DRAFT TEST ENTRIES TO MB-F.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD DRAFT DOG ENTRY FORM
THE FREIGHT HAUL COURSE will be wide enough to accommodate wheelchairs or other a participant may need in order to complete the course. If a participant needs accommodation for a handicap, the request MUST be included with the Entry Form.
DATES, TIME, LOCATION: Sunday, April 23 and Monday April 24, 2023 at 1:00 pm. Entrants must report with equipment for check in one hour before scheduled judging outdoors at the Hilton Arden West, 2200 Harvard St, Sacramento, CA 95815.
ENTRY LIMIT: 12 teams/test. Classes are limited to Novice, Open and Brace. Wait list for additional entries; notification sent out after entries close. Great Pyrenees are given priority entry.
DRAFT TEST CLASSES:
Novice Draft: The Novice class shall be for dogs who have not earned the Novice Draft Dog title (NDD) or have earned the Novice Draft Dog title (NDD) but have not earned the Draft Dog title (DD). All exercises except the recall, group stay, harnessing and hitching are performed on leash. However, the leash must be
visibly slack and is not to be used to physically guide the dog during exercises. Guiding, jerking, and/or tight leash will result in a failing performance. Knowledge of obedience exercises is needed for Basic Control.
Open Draft: The Open Draft class shall be for dogs who have earned either the Novice Draft Dog title (NDD) or the Draft Dog title (DD) from any breed club. All exercises are performed off leash.
Novice Brace Draft: Novice Brace Draft shall be for two-dog teams that have individually earned either their Novice Draft Dog (NDD) or Draft Dog (DD) title & have not earned a Novice Brace Draft title. All exercises are the same as those of Novice Draft.
AWARDS AND PRIZES: Qualifiers of the April 23rd & 24th Draft Tests will be awarded GPCA Drat Title certificates (mailed after the specialties), a rosette, Draft Gear Bag, and a leash (Saturday) or a toy (Sunday) after the test. All participants will receive a gift. Donations from supporters to cover Draft Test expenses are very welcome. Please make checks payable to GPCA Versatility and mail to Draft Test Secretary.
PYR DRAFT DOG REGULATIONS AVAILABLE FROM: Draft Test Secretary, Judy Skorup at email@example.com or the GPCA website.
1. A registered dog or a dog with an ILP/PAL number dog must be entered in the name of the person who owned it at the time entries for this show closed.
2. The dog may be handled through the exercises by a person other than the registered owner, but only one person may work with the dog throughout the entire test. Accommodations for people unable to walk the entire course will be made available. The course will be wide enough to allow for wheelchair access.
3. Entries MUST INCLUDE the measurements for the width of the cart that will be used, including the wheel hubs. Entries will not be complete without this information.
4. Entrants are responsible for providing their own officially labeled freight haul weights.
5. Entrants are responsible for obtaining GPCA Draft Test Regulations and being familiar with them.
6. All entries MUST INCLUDE the Official Draft Test Entry Form, the Agreement & the Date. Entries will not be processed without the Agreement & Date.
7. All GPCA Draft Test Regulations will be followed. Veterinary Care: On site: Brent Wooden, DVM. Old Towne Animal Hospital, 10530 Fair Oaks Blvd., Fair Oakes, CA 95629 (916) 961 – 8683. Hours: 7:30 am – 6:30 pm every day. For emergencies after hours: MarQueen Pet Emergency & Specialty, 9205 Sierra College Blvd. #120, Roseville, CA 95661 (916) 757-6600
8. If a dog has earned a CD title from the AKC (Companion Dog Obedience), the Basic Control component of the test is waived for the Novice Draft Test entry. If a dog has earned an AKC RE (Rally Excellent) or an AKC CDX (Obedience Companion Dog Excellent) title, the Basic Control component of the test is waived for the Open Draft Test entry. Include a copy of the appropriate AKC title certificate with your entry.
9. For Open entries: A NDD or DD title from any breed club will be recognized. Include a copy of the NDD or DD breed title certificate with your Open entry.
10. Entries will close when limit is reached or at noon on April 5, 2023, after which time entries cannot be accepted, cancelled, or altered, except as specifically allowed in the current GPCA Draft Test Regulations.
11. Move ups will be permitted after the Sunday Draft Test and up to 30 minutes before check in time to the Monday Draft Test. See Draft Test Secretary for move ups.