The GPCA welcomes you to our Health Section
The Health section is designed to help bring current information to GPCA Members, owners of Great Pyrenees, and to those who wish to learn more about Great Pyrenees. There are many points within this site that will direct you or link you to other websites. On those sites you may find ads for products and services. Please be aware that a link to another site for information contained therein does not constitute an endorsement by GPCA of those products or services.
COVID-19 INFORMATION – follow the link to the AKC: Information for Dog Owners: COVID-19
Canine Health Foundation Research Updates
We have received progress reports on a number of the projects that we are supporting. These reports take up considerable print space in the Bulletin. Since we now have the website update continuing, the reports will be posted as PDFs under the section on GPCA Grants, Funded Research and Studies, reports. Click here to see updates.
The documents marked (PDF) on this site are PDF files. You will need a suitable reader to view them. Don’t have one? Click on the link to the right to download free Adobe Reader.
Special Gratitude to Our Donors
On behalf of the GPCA Health Committee we acknowledge our members and friends who have been so generous in their donations. We have dedicated a special section to express our gratitude in assisting us in maintaining the health of our beloved breed.
- Neuronal Degeneration (NDG) Swab Collection: To request a Test Kit or have questions please contact Sue Blevens at NDG.Kit2Go@gmail.com or call/text 781-771-2022. For additional information on NDG https://vetmed.umn.edu/research/labs/canine-genetics-lab/genetic-testing/neuronal-degeneration
- Update to the Health Awards: Award Recipients
- Update to National Seminar and Health Clinic page: National Clinic and Seminar Page
Other News in Canine Health
- Don’t forget to check the Genome Barks Podcasts for the latest news in canine health issues.
- At your next vet visit ask about new canine flu vaccines. You and your pet both need a flu shot every year!
- Up-to-date information on pet food recalls, new drugs approved for veterinary medicine or links to pet health research and other resources from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
- Please check this important info on flea & tick control products from the EPA.
CHIC DNA Repository Application (PDF)
Longevity Award Application (PDF)
Health Awards Application (PDF)
Champion for Health Application (PDF)